The Old Post Office with a view of St. James Church in the background c1900
In this section you will find information on the history of the following categories:
The War Years
The village name is Anglo Saxon in origin and means ‘Oak Field’. In the Doomsday Book of 1086 it was called Achelei. The village became a parish in its own right in 1154 when a new church was constructed within the old village. This church was replaced by a newer version in 1854 dedicated to St James the Apostle, though this second church fell into such disrepair, that in 1979 it was demolished.
The village is one of 5 adjacent villages comprising the Parish of North Buckingham. Church services are held regularly twice a month in the Akeley C of E school hall or occasionally in the village hall. Alternatively regular services are held just one and a half miles distant in both Lillingstone Dayrell and Maids Moreton churches, both part of North Bucks Parish. Akeley was once home to a medieval deer park and a school where poor children were taught to make lace. Today Akeley is host to an annual horticultural show, which has been run since 1976.
The village of Akeley lies in north Buckinghamshire, England, situated about 3 miles north of Buckingham on the Towcester road (A413). Adjacent villages are Lillingstone Dayrell to the north and Maids Moreton to the south.
According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 545 and is also a civil parish.
To view a pdf containing cuttings related to the church click here.
Please click Ctrl+ to enlarge the following print or visit our Accessibility page by clicking here.
St. James Church
Aerial view of Akeley.
The War Years
|10th November Meeting Agenda (Not Available)||10th November Meeting Minutes|
|8th Spetember Meeting Agenda (Not Available)||8th September Meeting Minutes|
|14th July Meeting Agenda (Not Available)||14th July Meeting Minutes|
|20th May Annual Parish Council Meeting Agenda (Not Available)||20th May Annual Parish Council Meeting Minutes|
|10th March Meeting Agenda (Not Available)||10th March Meeting Minutes|
|13th January Meeting Agenda (Not Available)||13th January Meeting Minutes|
To read about the Fred Rush anecdotes including images of the Old Post Office – c1900 /c1930 and a 1939 schedule of the 20th Annual Flower Show, click on the following link: fred rush-anecdotes
For information on the War Memorial Restoration on the ‘Akeley Conservation Area’ page click here.
For details of the Service of Rededication following the restoration click the following links (four parts).
Please click the following links:
Please email any ideas or contributions to the webmaster by clicking here: email@example.com.